On May 1, 2000 ICOM became a reality – A joint effort between the City of Watseka, Iroquois County and the Iroquois County Emergency Telephone System Board (911). The name ICOM (Iroquois County Communications) was chosen by the Telecommunicators for the name of our dispatch center.
In 1999 the Iroquois County Joint Dispatch Board was formed. The Board is responsible for policy decisions regarding the number of employees, salaries and employee benefits such as health insurance, vacations, sick days, personal days, retirement benefits, overtime benefits and compensatory time for all Telecommunicators at ICOM.
ICOM Dispatches on behalf of the following:
- 12 Police Departments
- 21 Fire Departments
- 11 Ambulance Services
- Animal Control
- Telecommunicators are the first responders to all call for services.
- Answer eight 911 lines and eleven non-emergency telephone lines.
- Radio dispatch all call for services to the appropriate agencies.
- Enter wanted persons, missing persons, order of protections, stolen items, missing/stolen license plates, sex offenders in the LEADS system.
- Provide Emergency Medical assistance to all ambulance calls prior to an ambulance arrival.
- Notify road commissioners when signs are down, road obstructions and bridge damage.
- Contact key holders after hours reference open doors and alarms.
- Be able to perform TTY service to any deaf person who calls the center
- Contact animal control reference stray animals. They also make contact with livestock farmers when we have calls of cattle, horses, pigs etc on the roadways.
- Contact Eastern Illini and CIPS when there are power issues.
The Iroquois County Joint Dispatch Board shall consist of six members: one member of the Iroquois County Board selected by the Iroquois County Board Chairman subject to approval of that Board; one member to be selected from the Iroquois County Sheriff’s Department as selected by the Sheriff; one member to be selected from the Watseka City Council by the Mayor of the City of Watseka subject to the approval of the Council; one member to be selected from the Watseka Police Department as selected by the Mayor of the City of Watseka subject to approval of that Council, and two members shall be selected from the Iroquois County Emergency Telephone System Board as selected by the Chairman subject to approval of that board.
|Douglas, Jeremy||Watseka Police Department|
|Gocken, Ron||Iroquois County ETSB|
|Hagen, Derek (Vice Chairman)||Iroquois County Sheriff|
|Harwood, Robert||City of Watseka|
|Solomon, John (Chairman)||Iroquois County ETSB|
|Whitlow, Gerald||Iroquois County Board|
ICOM CALL Statistics
*Calls for Animal control, ESDA, and Coroner.